Are you looking for a better way to earn air miles to fuel your love for travel? Is there a credit card that makes it easy for you to earn those air miles? Well, we may have an answer.
If you haven’t heard, Maybank 2 Cards Premier is considered one of the best credit cards to earn air miles in Malaysia. It is marketed as a premium credit card for affluent people, as you need to earn at least RM120,000 annual to get this card.
Should you be getting this card? Let’s review it to find out.
What do you get with Maybank 2 Cards Premier?
In one application, you will get two credit cards – Maybank Reserve American Express Card and Maybank Visa Infinite. The Maybank Visa Infinite Credit Card is a complimentary card. Both the cards will share the statement. The main travel-related features of these credit cards are listed below:
Features of the Maybank 2 Cards Premier
- You can earn 5 TreatsPoints for every RM1 you spend both locally and overseas with the Maybank 2 Cards Reserve American Express Card
- For every transaction you make for utilities, insurance, education and EzyPay, you will earn 1 TreatsPoint
- 10,000 TreatsPoints are awarded to you when you activate the Maybank 2 Cards Premier
- Every 4,770 TreatsPoints can be redeemed for 1,000 Enrich Miles (Malaysia Airlines) or KrisFlyer Miles (Singapore Airlines) or Asia Miles.
- You enjoy complimentary access to Plaza Premium Lounges across the world 5 times in a year with the Visa Infinite card
- Accidental death and disablement coverage of up to RM2 million provided you use the Maybank 2 Cards Premier for your travel fares
- Missed flight connections, luggage loss or delay is covered under travel inconvenience coverage
- Annual fee waiver for the first year
- The TreatsPoints that you accumulate on this credit card is valid for 3 years
- Related: Citi PremierMiles Visa Credit Card Review: An Ideal Partner for Travel Buffs?
Other perks of having Maybank 2 Cards Premier
- Up to 50% discount on F&B at Shangri-La Hotel, Kuala Lumpur
- Up to 50% savings when dining at all SPG Hotels & Resorts across Malaysia
- Access to 86 golf clubs around the world
How does the TreatsPoints translate into miles?
So, let’s break this down for your convenience. Suppose you spend RM3,000 a month locally or overseas using your Reserve Amex card to earn 5 TreatsPoints for every RM 1, you will earn around 15,000 TreatsPoints each month. When you convert those TreatsPoints into air miles, you will get around 3,144 air miles a month. Furthermore, there’s no cap on the number of TreatsPoints you can earn with this card, so it’s really a great way to earn miles!
Of course, you don’t have to convert your TreatsPoints every month. You can save them for up to 3 years before converting them to either Enrich Miles / KrisFlyer Miles / Asia Miles. Upon conversion, your miles will be valid for another 3 years.
How does the Maybank 2 Cards Premier miles conversion rate compare with other cards?
Type of Air Mile
|Maybank Visa Signature||Maybank 2 Cards Premier||Citi PremierMiles Visa Card||HSBC Visa Signature||
HSBC Premier Travel Credit Card
1,000 Asia Miles
|—||4,770 TreatsPoints||1,500 PremierMiles||7,000 Rewards Points||1,000 Air Miles|
1,000 Enrich Miles
|10,600 TreatsPoints||4,770 TreatsPoints||1,500 PremierMiles||
8,500 Rewards Points
1,000 Air Miles
|1,000 KrisFlyer Miles||4,770 TreatsPoints||1,500 PremierMiles||10,500 Rewards Points||
1,000 Air Miles
Using the above table for comparison, we can see the number of TreatsPoints required to redeem various air miles.
While at first glance, the Citi PremierMiles card looks like a better option thanks to the cheaper rate of conversion. But the Citi card only earns 1 PremierMile for every RM3 that you charge to the card locally and 2 PremierMiles on the equivalent of RM3 charged in foreign currency. For you to earn 1,500 PremierMiles locally, you’d be required to spend RM4,500 a month.
If you were to charge the same amount onto the Maybank 2 Cards, you’d earn 22,500 TreatsPoints which would roughly give you about 4716 Enrich miles.
Another card that earns good air miles is the HSBC Premier Travel Credit card which gives you 1.1 Air Miles on every RM1 charged overseas. But the card only earns 1 Air Mile for every RM4 charged to the card locally.
So in a calendar month, if you spend RM1,500 overseas and spend RM1,500 locally on your HSBC Premier Travel Card, the air miles earned would be a total of 2025 Air Miles. The same amount spent on the Maybank 2 Cards gives you close to 3144 Enrich/Asia/KrisFlyer Miles.
Anything else to be aware of?
Remember when we mentioned that you do not have to pay the annual fee for the first year on Maybank 2 Cards Premier Credit Card? Do you know what you may have to pay for the second year? RM800. But you do have an option of not paying an annual fee even for the subsequent years (i.e. after the first year) only if you spend at least RM80,000 per year on the card.
When it comes to flight redemptions, the Maybank 2 Cards Premier is the ultimate card to own. Not only does it allow you to accumulate miles quickly through the Reserve Amex card, it has one of the best conversion rates in Malaysia when it comes to converting your TreatsPoints to miles.
The conversion rate is amazing, and exactly the same regardless of whether you wish to get Enrich / KrisFlyer / Asia Miles. That certainly opens up a lot of possibilities for flight redemptions.
That said, it’s a card that not many can afford, with its steep minimum income requirement and annual fee-waiver spending requirement.
You may also like: