Whether it’s a short road trip, an adventure tour, or a full-fledged luxury vacation, travelling can be beneficial for your mind and body. But with travel costs on a constant upswing, getting away from home for a break may turn out to be an expensive affair.
In such a situation, it only makes sense that you try and cut corners wherever possible. Getting a travel credit card can seem like a sensible move in such times. And if you’re a Malaysian citizen, the Citi PremierMiles Visa Credit Card may just be what you need.
Citi PremierMiles Visa Credit Card — Top features and benefits
Earn air miles every time you use the card
With the Citi PremierMiles Visa Credit Card, you can earn PremierMiles for all kinds of retail transactions – local and overseas.
You can then redeem the PremierMiles you collect for air miles, which is then used for award flights, partial ticket redemptions, seat upgrades and other travel perks. Here’s how you can earn PremierMiles and use them:
- Get 1 PremierMile for every RM3 spent on local retail purchases
- Get 2x PremierMiles for every RM3 that you spend overseas in foreign currency
- Get 2x PremierMiles for every RM3 spent on participating online travel merchants
- Enjoy a reward of 10,000 PremierMiles on your card anniversary if you pay the annual fee
- PremierMiles never expire
- Redeem PremierMiles that you’ve earned for air miles of your preferred frequent flyer programme at the conversion rate of 1,500 PremierMiles = 1,000 air miles
- Take your pick from more than 90 partnering airlines
Got no travel plans in the near future? Your miles don’t need to sit idle. You can also use it to:
- Pay for recent purchases that you’ve made on the card and reduce your outstanding balance
- Pay for retail transactions made at participating Instant Rewards merchants
- Redeem your card’s annual fees – RM600 (with 0% GST)
Are there any joining benefits?
If you activate the Citi PremierMiles Visa Credit Card within 60 days of its approval, here’s what you’ll get:
Firstly, you get a 20″ trolley bag worth RM299. Next, your card’s annual fees for the first three years are waived. What’s more? If you spend at least RM1,500 during the same 60-day period on retail transactions, you can get RM200 as cashback. It must be noted here that all joining promotions are valid until 31 January 2019, and are meant only for new Citi credit card applicants who apply for the card online.
Other travel benefits of the Citi PremierMiles Card
Airport lounge access
As a Citi PremierMiles Visa Credit Card holder, you get unlimited complimentary access to selected airport lounges across Malaysia, including Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA1), Penang International Airport, Kuching International Airport, and Kota Kinabalu International Airport.
That’s not all. If you’re bringing someone along with you to any of these lounges, you get 50% off the retail entry price.
Airport cab rides
When you’re back from your trip and yearning to get home, finding a cab can get irksome. But, if you’re a Citi PremierMiles Visa Credit Card-holder and have landed in KLIA1, you can ride home in an Airport Limo for free!
To be eligible for the free ride, you should have made a minimum of 3 overseas retail transactions in the preceding 30 days. Your destination should also be limited to Klang Valley or up to Zone 8 of Airport Limo’s jurisdiction.
With the Citi PremierMiles Visa Credit Card, you get to enjoy exclusive benefits at more than 900 luxury hotels across the world. Here are the ones that stand out:
- Best available room rates
- VIP guest status
- Complimentary breakfast and in-room Wifi when available
- Food and beverage credits worth $25 USD
- Room upgrade on arrival based on availability
- 3 pm checkout upon request, when available
As a Citi PremierMiles Visa Credit Card holder, you get complimentary travel insurance cover if you charge the entire cost of your flight tickets to the card. The main benefits of your complimentary travel insurance cover include:
- Travel inconvenience cover of up to RM16,000 in case of trip cancellation or up to RM2,500 in case of flight delays, baggage delays, and missed flight connections
- Baggage loss cover of up to RM12,000 if it’s lost or undelivered within 24 hours
- Personal accident cover of up to RM300,000
- Overseas medical expenses cover of up to RM50,000
- Emergency medical evacuation and repatriation cover of up to RM75,000
In addition to a host of travel rewards on offer, the Citi PremierMiles Visa Credit Card also provides premium dining and golfing privileges.
Secondly, you get 30% off green fees at participating golf courses located across Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Philippines, Brunei, Indonesia, and Vietnam.
Although the Citi PremierMiles Visa Credit Card scores well on many counts, pointing certain drawbacks out seems worthwhile:
- The minimum income requirement is on the higher side at RM100,000 p.a.
- The Standard Chartered WorldMiles World Mastercard gives a slightly better air miles conversion rate on overseas spends, albeit with lesser partnering airlines (more on this in the point below)
- Existing Citi credit card holders cannot avail the joining benefits
- Complimentary lounge access is only for international flights
- Complimentary ride home is valid only if you land in KLIA1 and your destination is within Klang Valley or up to Zone 8 of Airport Limo’s jurisdiction
So, how does this card match up against its competitor?
The Standard Chartered WorldMiles World Mastercard Credit Card is another popular option in Malaysia for travel credit cards with similar minimum income requirement. Let’s pit these two cards against each other to see how good they really are.
Here’s an illustrative table to help you compare the main travel benefits that each card offers:
|Name of the credit card||Cost per Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) air mile (T&Cs apply)||Minimum income requirement||Annual fees||Annual fee waiver|
|Citi PremierMiles Visa Credit Card||
RM4.5 spent locally for 1 FFP mile
RM2.25 spent overseas for 1 FFP mile
|RM100,000 p.a.||RM600 (with 0% GST)||New Citi members who apply online will get a 3-year waiver if they activate the card within 60 days of approval|
|Standard Chartered WorldMiles World Mastercard Credit Card||
RM6 spent locally for 1 FFP mile
RM1.33 spent overseas for 1 FFP mile (Asia Miles, KrisFlyer, Enrich, AirAsia BIG)
|RM90,000 p.a.||RM600 (with 0% GST)||Waived for the first year. Subsequent years waived with a minimum spend of RM60,000 p.a.|
A quick look at the table above and the two cards pretty much match up to each other. But, if you look closely at the details, the Citi PremierMiles Visa Credit Card slightly stands out, firstly on the annual fee waiver.
While new Citi members can get the annual fees waived for 3 years when they apply for the card online and activate it within 60 days of approval, Standard Chartered WorldMiles World Mastercard Credit Card users will get annual fee waiver for the first year, and a minimum spend of RM60,000 annually will ensure their annual fees is waived for subsequent years as well.
Now coming to air miles conversion rates. You can accumulate air miles faster when you use the Citi PremierMiles for local spends (RM4.5 per FFP air mile compared to RM6 for the Standard Chartered card, T&Cs apply). But if your overseas spends are considerable, you’ll get a faster conversion rate with the Standard Chartered WorldMiles World Mastercard (RM1.33 per FFP air mile compared to RM2.25 with the Cit credit card, T&Cs apply).
Another good thing about the Citi PremierMiles card is that you have a wider choice of partner airlines to choose from (90 partnering airlines). This way, you have more options when it comes to picking future travel destinations.
Lastly, as far as the minimum income requirement is concerned, the Citi PremierMiles exceeds Standard Chartered WorldMiles World Mastercard by RM10,000.
The Citi PremierMiles Visa Credit Card is certainly a good option if you’re looking for a travel credit card in Malaysia, especially if you’re a new-to-Citibank customer in Malaysia. It’s safe to say that its wide range of offers and privileges make up for its rather steep minimum income requirement.
That said, the Standard Chartered WorldMiles World Mastercard is also a useful card for those who travel overseas frequently, more so because of its slightly lower minimum income requirement.
From staying protected financially when you’re having the time of your life to getting a free ride home at the end of your trip, this card actually has the potential to become a helpful partner for the travel buffs out there!
Liked the card? Apply it now on BBazaar and get gifts worth RM300! T&Cs apply.
Card Type : Travel
Bbazaar promotion : PARKSON Gift Voucher worth RM150. T&Cs apply
Earn 2 PremierMiles for every RM3 equivalent spent in foreign currencies and on selected online travel merchants
Earn 1 PremierMile for every RM3 spent locally
Get 10,000 PremierMiles on your card anniversary every year once you’ve paid the annual fee
Minimum income – RM100,000 p.a
Minimum age – 21 years old
For Salaried Employees: Copy of MyKad, latest EPF statement, last 6 months’ salary slips, latest 6 months’ bank statements, and form BE with tax payment receipt
For Self-Employed Professionals: Copy of MyKad, Business Registration Certificate (ROC & ROB), last 6 months’ bank statements, and form BE with tax payment receipt
Annual fee: Principal card – RM600 (with 0% GST). The annual fee will be waived for the first three years if you activate your card within 60 days of approval. Supplementary card – Free for life
Interest rates: 15-18% p.a.
Late payment fee: 1% of the outstanding balance subject to a minimum of RM10 and a maximum of RM100
You may also like:
- 7 Dining Credit Cards That Help You Save More While Eating Out
- 6 Smart Credit Card Habits for Youngsters
- Top 5 Travel Credit Cards in Malaysia That Ensure You Have a Happy Journey
All information provided in this article/blog, published on this website is strictly for general information purpose only. BBazaar does not provide any warranty about the authenticity and accuracy of such information. BBazaar will not be held responsible for any loss and/or damage that arises or is incurred by use of such information. Please visit the websites of respective banks/financial institutions for more details about products.